Pikesville High School, located in northwest Baltimore County, was organized in September, 1964 by the Board of Education of Baltimore County to meet the needs of the suburban community that it now serves. The school opened with a student population of 670 tenth and eleventh graders. We now have approximately 925 students in grades nine through twelve.
The school and campus land was owned for many years by Dr. William Wyse. Born in Pikesville in 1866, Dr. Wyse practiced medicine in the area for fifty-seven years. The extensive planting of oak trees bordering the walkway in front of the school was once a carriage drive leading to Dr. Wyse’s large, rambling, brick home.
Settlement in the Pikesville community began in 1770 before the American Revolutionary War. At the recommendation of Dr. James Smith of Sudbrook Park, the town was named after the famous Western explorer, General Zebulon Pike.
Today, Pikesville is a thriving community attracting a diverse population. Although Jewish students represent the single largest group in the school, all other religions and races are represented in our building. This has led to the school having a much larger global outlook matching the county as a whole.
Pikesville is known for its strong academic program. We offer twenty-three Advanced Placement courses, a Multi-media completer program, and a strong AVID program. Pikesville High has been named by Newsweek magazine as one of the top 5% America's high schools since 2005 . This recognition continues Pikesville High's tradition of spirit, pride, and excellence in a national setting.